Our goal is to introduce campers to the exciting world of canoe kayak
in a fun and safe environment through our Summer Camps.
At NCKC Summer Camps, participants gain confidence in their canoe and kayak skills by being engaged in fun and dynamic activities both on and off the water. All activities throughout the camp are designed to build strong sportsmanship. Group activities include working together, paddling a variety of boats, swimming, beach time and games. Highly qualified coaches will deliver these programs to ensure campers’ safety and an advancement in their abilities.
To register by mail or in person, download the forms here.
For more information or help with registration, call 250-758-4052 or email Anne at email@example.com
2018 Summer Camp Dates & Times
HALF DAY SUMMER CAMPS for 7-14 years (9am-12pm or 1pm-4pm, Monday to Friday) $135/week*
FULL DAY SUMMER CAMPS for 7-14 years (9am-4pm, Monday to Friday) $235/week*
*Note: weeks 1 and 6 are 4-day weeks. Summer camp prices during these weeks are discounted.
- Week 1: July 3-6 (Tuesday-Friday)
- Week 2: July 9-13,
- Week 3: July 16-20
- Week 4: July 23-27
- Week 5: July 30-August 3
- Week 6: August 7-10 (Tuesday-Friday)
- Week 7: August 13-17
- Week 8: August 20-24
- Week 9: August 27-31
Fun-Filled Summer Camps for Kids
Canoe Kids is a fun-filled summer camp focused on all aspects of safe paddle sports. Campers aged 7-14 years old will be introduced to canoeing, kayaking, dragonboating, water safety, swimming, field sports as well as cooperative games and activities. In the event of inclement weather, activities will be restricted to land. All canoes, kayaks, paddles and PFDs will be supplied for use during camp hours.
Throughout the week campers will explore Nanaimo’s scenic Long Lake with qualified instructors. Along with their peers, campers will have a great time challenging their own abilities while developing self-confidence and teamwork skills. We offer both full and half day programs and keep low ratios to ensure each participant enjoys an optimal summer camp experience.
For a detailed snapshot of what happens at our Summer Day Camps, check out Alicia’s report on Life at Summer Camp.
Campers are required to wear a life jacket at all times (lunch, off-water games and crafts excluded).
Note: Canoe Kids is not a introduction to competitive sprint boats or regatta participation. If you are interested in sprint canoe and kayaking please visit our sprint programs page or speak to one of the coaches about joining our racing team!
Prerequisites for Canoe Kayak Summer Camps
- Campers must be 7-14 years old during the camp session
- No paddling experience is required
- CanoeKids participants must demonstrate minimum swim ability, if campers cannot complete the swim assessment they will not be able to continue in the camp**
**Prior to getting in boats participants must show they have the ability to roll into the water and swim 50 metres (any stroke) and stay afloat (tread water) for 1 minute (as per the National Lifesaving Society Swim to Survive standard). Instructors will assess swimming ability on the 1st day of the program so please come ready to get in the water. Swim ability is assessed with a lifejacket or other flotation device. If your child is nervous about this process we welcome you to swim along with your child to ease the nerves
What to bring to Summer Camps on Long Lake
- The Nanaimo Canoe Kayak Club will provide all the necessary paddling equipment. However, CanoeKids participants are welcome to bring their own.
- 2 changes of clothing daily will be required; clothing should be comfortable, loose fitting and preferably made of quick drying fabric (they do get wet!).
- Running shoes are required for dry-land games.
- Sun screen, water bottle, healthy lunches and snacks are needed for each day. Some days the club will have a pizza lunch; more information will be given after registration.
Nananimo Canoe Kayak Summer Camps: How to Find Us
Long Lake Beach, Loudon Park, 4295 Victoria Ave, Nanaimo
For more information on our Summer Day Camps, call 250-758-4052 or email Anne at nckcregistration[at]yahoo.com.