(From ViaSport Return to Sport May 2021)
With current provincial restrictions in place until at least May 25, 2021, viaSport is providing the
following guidance for sport organizations and their members around how to prepare for a safe, gradual
return to sport.• Currently, sport activities for youth and adults are restricted until at least May 25, 2021.
• The B.C. Provincial Health Officer has indicated that when restrictions are eased, it will
• Modified activities for outdoor sports could return as early as June, but the timeline for
indoor sports will depend on future decisions from public health officials.
• Although outdoor sport may be more permissive than indoor sport after May 25, 2021,
viaSport is hopeful that all sport can expect a gradual transition back to regular game play
over the summer and into the fall.
• Dr. Henry is working with public health officials on a health policy that will guide the next
phases of a restart plan for all sectors, which is targeted to be released after the May long
• When restrictions are lifted, sport organizations will have many factors to consider including
availability of facilities, coaches, volunteers, etc. As a result, we recognize that it will take
time for organizations to restart their activities.
• Staying connected and aligned with your provincial sport organization will help make the
transition safer and smoother for everyone.
As a reminder:
• Under current restrictions, within a home club setting, training and practice for youth age 21
and under may continue, as long as:
o participants maintain a physical distance of three metres from one another (no
handshaking, high fives, hugging, etc.);
o the focus is on activities that have a low risk of COVID-19 virus transmission;
o there are no spectators present, unless to provide care (i.e. first aid) to a participant
• The Orders do not specifically address every individual situation. When interpreting the Orders,
please remember the intention is important. This will help to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in
our communities and keep sports safe. Our actions now will impact how quickly we can return
to sport when the time is right.